Crock Pot Thanksgiving - Holiday Made Simple

I host Thanksgiving at my house each year.  Usually we spend pretty much the entire day in the kitchen preparing all of the food.  This year I've decided I want to make the preparations that go into our Thanksgiving dinner simple.  I want to actually enjoy the holiday visiting with the family while they are here rather than working in the kitchen the whole time.   

I recently got this Crock-Pot Hook Up System.  I absolutely love this thing!  Each unit is purchased separately and you can plug in as many as six units into just one outlet.  The units push together side by side and connect each other.  They come in different sizes, different colors and make for easy entertaining!   


I got the double one quart unit (shown on the left),  2 of the two quart units (center) and one three quart unit (on the right) .  I've been cooking in them nightly.  You only have to turn on the units that you want to use (as each one has it's own on/off knob and adjustable heat settings).  You can cook your entire meal right in these crocks and then turn them to the warm setting until you are ready to serve.  These each come with their own serving spoon and a spoon slot in the crock (so your lids can sit on them) even while the spoon is in them.  

I have an old huge crock pot, but it is so large and heavy that I rarely used it because I didn't like cleaning the heavy beast.  These being smaller are so much easier to clean.  The units also stack for easy storage.  I haven't bothered to put them away.  I've been using them every single day.  I'm surprised how many meals I've been able to make in them.  I've suddenly turned into a crock pot chef :)

I've been playing with different recipe ideas this past week and have come up with a few that are a total successes.  We also recently started eating Paleo... so I've come up with several Paleo versions of some of our Thanksgiving favorites.  I'd never really eaten sweet potatoes before, and this past week I've tried them a few different ways.  Sweet potato mash (via the crock pot) is amazing!!!  It is definitely my new favorite!


I have made both seasoned turkey breasts and a full size chicken in the large crock.  I made sweet potato bites and also a sweet potato mash (which is my new favorite)!  I'd never even tried sweet potatoes prior to getting these Crock-Pots and now I love sweet potatoes!  I also made cranberry pears which is something our family has done for several years (will share this recipe tomorrow).

For a healthy dessert I cut apple slices with my Apple Corer Peeler Slicer (that also Peels potatoes) and put them into a crock pot with cinnamon, honey and chopped pecans.  
After a few hours the apples were tender, flavorful and oh so yummy!  I've had my apple slicer for about 14 years and still use it all the time.  They have made improvements on it (like adding a suction cup), but it is still the same amazing tool.  It works great for peeling potatoes and for when I  make homemade apple pie.  

I'm not sure I will be able to do Thanksgiving 100% in the crock pots.  I'm still planning to do a whole turkey in the oven so we have lots of leftovers.  But most of our meal will slow cook in my new Crock-Pots while I get to enjoy visiting with family and friends.  I'm getting excited for this holiday to see everyone, to share great food and show off my new kitchen toys.

Blessings,

Diana



2 comments:

  1. I'm doing the same thing but have been wondering about veggies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The few people in my family that will eat veggies on Christmas like fresh green beans. We just steam them on the stove.. Then sprinkle slivered almonds on top.

      Delete

I love all of your comments and I read every one... I'd love to hear from you!

Blessings,
Diana